Be proactive rather than reactive
Food Safety and Inspection
Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Anne Magee (804) 225-4536
With one phone call to this number, you can ask questions about all food products sold at retail, including but not limited to, processed, canned fruits and vegetables; pickled products; vinegar products; meat and poultry; fish and seafood; and baked goods.
For Specific Information, call:
|VDACS-Office of Marketing & Consumer Services- Gail Milteer||(757) 653-2010 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|VDACS-Office of Food Safety - Anne Magee||(804)225-4536|
|VDACS- Office of Dairy & Foods - Keith Jordan||(757)363-3840 email@example.com|
|VDACS-Office of Weights & Measures - Wayne Roach||(434)446-3095 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|VDACS – Retail & Wholesale Monthly Pricing - Market News||www.vdacs.virginia.gov/marketnews|
|VDH- Virginia Dept. of Health - Charlotte Brayman||(757)653-3321 email@example.com|
|Snap/EBT Program DSS - Claudia Jackson||(804)726-7346 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Protect – Sanitize – Label
Each vendor must abide by all local, state, and federal regulations, which govern the production, harvest, preparation, preservation, labeling or safety of products offered for sale at the Market. Vendors are liable for their own products.
- Refer to VDACS Food Safety Guide booklet for individual product details.
- A copy of all applicable permits, including those from the health department, VDACS, or appropriate inspector of the county where the products originate must be included with this application and available at the Market.
- Scales and thermometers (in each unit) must be used and kept accurate.
- Ice (drainable) or other means must be used to maintain required temperatures.
- Produce must be displayed at least two (2) feet off the ground.
- All products must be protected from dust, flies, rain, and animals.