FAÇADE MATCHING GRANT PROGRAM
The Downtown Franklin Association has established a Façade Matching Grant Program to provide financial assistance to new and existing businesses located within the Special Downtown Service District as identified by the City Council Resolution adopted July 22, 1985.
The Façade Grant may be used for such projects as outside renovations, window repairs or replacements, signage, awnings, landscaping, and/or other projects that enhance the outside of the property and which the Design Review Committee finds acceptable.
- Grants are available for up to 50% of the total cost of the improvement project to a maximum award of $750.00 per project. An applicant may only be awarded one grant per project /per building address/per annual grant period.
- The applicant may be the property owner or tenant. If the project alters the property, tenant must submit owner’s approval in writing to the Downtown Franklin Association office.
- Project description and design must be submitted to the Downtown Franklin Association Office for approval. Any changes to the project or design after submission may jeopardize the grant.
- The applicant will be reimbursed the grant upon the completion of the project
- Completion of the project must be within six months of approval.
- If applicable to the project, planned improvements must preserve the architectural integrity of the building.
- If applicable to the project, the size, shape and color of sign should complement the building and conform to the City’s sign ordinance.
- If applicable to the project, paint colors should be harmonious with neighboring structures and/or indicative of the building’s historic (past) color.
- Applicants must make initial application to the Downtown Franklin Association to insure adherence to applicable policies, requirements, codes and appropriateness. In no event shall the Downtown Franklin Association use race, sex, age, religion, military status, color, national origin, or handicap as grounds for denial to an eligible applicant.
- Grant applications for outside renovations will be eligible for approval only if such rehabilitations or renovations adhere to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitations.
- Aesthetic quality of the design proposed.
- Potential impact on the attractiveness of the City, the streetscape and the particular building.
- Enhancement or improvement significant to the District.
Note: These guidelines are subject to change as financial constraints make any such changes necessary.