I am thrilled to announce that the annual Congressional App Challenge for Virginia's Third Congressional District is underway again.
The Congressional App Challenge is a competition aimed at encouraging U.S. middle and high school students to learn how to code by creating their own applications. The Challenge is intended to highlight the value of computer science and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education and encourage students to engage in these fields. This nationwide event allows middle and high school students from across the country to compete by creating and exhibiting their software application, or "app," for mobile, tablet, or computer devices on a platform of their choice. By encouraging and recognizing our nation’s young programming talent, Congress hopes to shine a light on the growing importance of these skills.
- The Challenge submission deadline is November 1, 2019.
- The 2019 Congressional App Challenge (CAC) is open to all middle and high school students who live or are eligible to attend middle or high school in the 3rd Congressional District of Virginia.
- Students who do not reside or attend a middle or high school in the 3rd Congressional District of Virginia can see if their Representative is participating by visiting: https://www.congressionalappchallenge.us/students/participating-districts/.
- All entries must be an original in concept, design and execution.Students may compete as individuals or in teams of up to four students, as long as two of the team reside in or are eligible to attend public high school in their congressional district.
- No prior computer science coursework is necessary.
- All eligible middle and high school students are encouraged to participate, regardless of past experience!
- Students should register here.
- Official guidelines and submission instructions can be accessed by visiting: https://www.congressionalappchallenge.us
If you have any additional questions, please call my District Office at (757) 380-1000.
Very truly yours,
ROBERT C. "BOBBY" SCOTT
Member of Congress