Update on Hurricane Florence - September 12, 2018
Current projections show less negative impact on Franklin
National Hurricane Center (NHC) Information updated 12 September 2018 05:00AM
- The center of Hurricane Florence was located near latitude 29.0° North, longitude 70.1° West; 785 miles East Southeast of Cape Fear, North Carolina.
- Florence is moving toward the west northwest at 17 mph (28 km/h).
- A west-northwestward motion with a slight increase in forward speed is expected by Wednesday. A turn toward the northwest is forecast to occur late Wednesday night. The storm is expected to approach the coast of South Carolina or North Carolina late Thursday afternoon into Friday morning while slowing down.
- Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 140 mph (220 km/h) with higher gusts.
- Florence is a Category 4 Hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Further strengthening is anticipated, and Florence is expected to be a dangerous major hurricane through Thursday.
- Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles (110 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 175 miles (280 km).
NHC Key Messages
- Life threatening storm surge is likely along SC and NC coastlines. A storm surge warning is in effect for portions of Virginia.
- Forecasts indicate Florence will slow considerably or stall causing total rainfall accumulations of 4 to 10 inches with locally higher amounts.
- The rainfall could produce catastrophic flash flooding and significant river flooding.
- Impacts from tropical storm force winds could start as early as Thursday 8am.
State Actions and Local Actions
- Virginia is preparing for the arrival of a potentially devastating storm.
- The Commonwealth of Virginia has received an Emergency Federal Declaration to provide emergency protective measures (Category B) under Public Assistance Program.
- Governor Northam declared State of Emergency on September 8 ahead of Florence.
- VEST has transitioned to Orange – Partial Activation at 7:00am on September 10.
- Representatives from various Federal agencies are in the Virginia EOC.
- Local EOCs Open – 15
- Local Declarations – 49
- vaemergency.gov is not working, to access the Know Your Zone Tool please go to http://bit.ly/knowyourzoneva
- The Governor has ordered a mandatory evacuation for Coastal Zone A in Hampton Roads effective 8:00 AM, Tuesday, September 11.